Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Changes

As of late, I haven't come across anything really exciting in the post-apoc genre to get me hot and bothered enough to post --

I have to stop there for a moment. How many of us get so excited by anything that the first reaction we have is to log into an account and type away. What? Oh, wait... yeah. Facebook. Twitter. Nevermind, hah! --

But a few things out there look promising. When I actually have some money again (separation and divorce are emotionally AND financially painful. I don't recommend it, but at the same time, its not worth fighting someone to get them to change their mind. Only makes them hurt you worse), I plan to plunk down a few bucks to see if they live up to the hype.

One of those things is: The Last of Us

When I saw the trailers for this one a while ago, I admit I was excited AND deflated. Years ago, I read about the zombie ants, due to the cordyceps fungus. Interesting, and best of all, REAL. I wondered then how I could work that into a story, but never found anywhere appropriate.

Fast forward. A few months ago, I am listening to a podcast with my husband and the guy mentions his regimen of vitamins and supplements. Among the items he lists were the cordyceps. Bells and whistles went off, as I recalled the cordyceps word ("Why does that sound familiar?") and, with the handy-dandy iPhone, pulled it up.

Here was a guy mentioning cordyceps as a supplement, and suddenly I had a vision of "THAT's where zombies are coming from! People taking these as supplements and the fungus mutating, taking over their brain and turning them into zombies that climb to the tops of buildings and --" Well, okay, not about the part where they climb to the tops of buildings. But being the instigator of zombification.

Fast forward again (gotta love that virtual remote) and I see the trailer crop up, and said "YES!" and then said "Oh no." Someone else came up with the end of the world scenario involving cordyceps before I could write and publish it. I do not know if it had anything to do with body-building supplements, but all the same, I am looking forward to playing The Last of Us, to see how the conceit plays out. Along with having an entertaining time, of course.

On a side note, this is a fantastic representation of the cordyceps at work, among his other magnificent pieces. Beautiful work, Mr. Fleming.

No comments:

Post a Comment