Friday, September 24, 2010

Back in Black (Holes)

Only for a bit. The novel is still on track, and I've got an expert reader going over my second revision, pointing out any huge, nasty, gaping, sucking wound in the prose. We caught a big one, and I'm churning out what I hope is NOT filler to make the points richer and more salient.

The truth is the book is becoming more of a murder/mystery set in the post-apoc world. Not what I intended to write from the beginning, but it just began to morph into one. Through the course of the first draft I had the characters moving all around the Circuit, but the central focus of the second revision is keeping everyone in town. This works well with me creating the world, as I can spend more time establishing the locations to make them more "real" and also to make them more integral to the story instead of just backdrop.

Of course, that also means I'll have to get them out of town eventually, so another few books are entirely possible, and I've got ideas for them already. (Publishers just LOVE to hear that the book, although a good stand alone, can lead to other stories. They see dollar signs for successful authors, since the sequels are almost guaranteed to sell).

So that's it. The characters haven't changed appreciably, and the plot hasn't either, but the format in which it is told has matured. I hope you'll still stick around, even if mysteries aren't your thing. It will still be (I pray) post-apoc goodness.

On another note: I'm really looking forward to Fallout:New Vegas, if only to see what the oldies music selections are going to be (and it comes out two days after my birthday, yay!). My parents had some of this music come out during their child/teen years. They actually saw the Inkspots perform live! ("Maybe" is playing. Mom: Hm, that sounds like the Inkspots. You know, your dad and I saw them when we were young. Me: jealous, sheepish grin). Its great to have the GNR station switched on, singing along with the cheery, sunny music while splattering a raider's head against the back wall with a well-placed .308 round from 100 yards away. Its even better when my parents pop in for a visit and realize what kind of game I'm playing while said music is played.

As for the other music: has anyone else turned off the background music in Fallout 3? Post-apocalyptic settings shouldn't have a background soundtrack. Silence is more effective. And Inon Zur's compositions are lukewarm at best. His music failed hardcore with Fallout:Tactics (which wasn't all that great a game, and didn't mesh with the FO canon as far as I'm concerned). If they wanted quality thematic sound, Bethesda should have called Mark Morgan and had him recreate the moods from FO1 and 2.

I swear, the music for the Glow location in the first Fallout is still the creepiest piece of music I've ever heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment